Sunday, December 16, 2012

A Lot of Catching Up...Part 3 What I have put together


PART 3:
Throughout this hospital stay, my eyes have been opened so much. I pieced together so many things that happened in Ukraine. So much I did not share with the public because I did not think it was of any importance or that I just forgot and am now remembering. Silas did not have these spasms in the orphanage. Why? He was on some sort of medication. What it was, we will never know. Why were we not told he was medicated? The wonderful Nancy once again had to help me understand this. In their beliefs, Silas was not worthy of a family because he is non verbal and immobile. When she said this to me, I started putting so many things together. Although I do not want to believe that, because I do not understand how anyone can not love his sweet little face. He did not ask to be put on this earth nor is it his fault that he is the way he is. His life is just as precious as every other life. And he deserves even more love than those of us that are “normal,” not less.
I am going to go back to October 17. This was our first DAP appointment. This is where we were told Silas was not available to be adopted due to his paper work being changed. It took a few times for me to understand why he was not available. My brain was just not working. And I want to clarify this because I have seen cases of ignorant trolls twisting stories when they hear a family pursued a child that was not available. And I am aware of trolls lurking around my blog, so I will explain why he was not available and why we pursued. In Ukraine, children under 5 are only available for international adoption IF they have a certain special need. There is a list of about 12 and these needs have special numbers assigned to them. The approved needs have numbers from about 80.2-something I do not remember. His was changed to a number that was like 80.0. I was told it was an accident. When our paperwork was filed in August, everything was clear for us to adopt Silas. Sometime after that and before our DAP appointment, I was told a different doctor saw Silas while the director was on vacation. That doctor was the one that accidentally changed the code, making him unavailable for international adoption before he turned 5.
We were given a few options: come back after Silas' 5th birthday (which was a month and a half away), accept a referral for another child and possibly add Silas if his paperwork could be changed (they were pushing us to accept a healthier child in another region), accept no referral and wait to see if Silas' paperwork could be changed, which could take a few days or a few weeks. While in the appointment, we were shown other files of children and even a video. The video was of another boy with CP. He was just learning to walk. We were told he was better off than Silas, as his CP was mild. Also I was shown the file of a Deaf boy. Even with my Deaf Ed background, I still wanted Silas. I was told “It is only a still picture you have seen. You can not love a picture. You have not held this child. You can not love him.” Oh, but I do! I asked to see the file of “Orion” who I knew was at the same orphanage. We had considered him as a second child but wanted to assess Silas' needs first and be sure we could meet his needs. I was so distraught, one of my facilitator saw that I clearly could not make a decision. I agreed to go across the street to a little pizza place and sort things out. I wanted to speak to Nancy. Its so funny that it my knee jerk reaction was “I want to talk to Nancy.” As if she were my mother. Instead of “I want my mommy” “I want my Nancy.” lol (She has really been that wonderful throughout this process. I still run to her with issues I have related to the adoption. I will likely never stop pestering her. Sorry Nancy!) One of the other facilitators stepped away to make a phone call to the director. She came back and told us that the director agreed to have Silas' paperwork changed in the morning and if we accepted “Orion” we would be allowed to meet Silas at the same time. She also said that we must understand that Silas' condition is severe. She said to me “he is not working.” I know I must have given her a crazy look because she then said “that is just how they say it here.” We accepted the referral for “Orion” and would meet him the following day.
On our way to the orphanage, our driver picked up our facilitator. She turned to us and said that the director is very happy we are interested in “Orion” and that he is thriving. Nothing was said about Silas. When we got to the orphanage, we were given so much information on “Orion.” The director knew so much information that I suspected that he knew the parents. He knew how many times the mother had been married, that the father was a big man like my husband, their jobs, etc. (“Orion” was André's name given on RR. I will refer to him as André from here on out.) When André entered the room he was a giggle box and I was in love. The director played with him and showed us how he could give 5. He clearly loved André. Next we had a “off the record” info session on Silas. We were told not nearly half as much info, which could have been because they did not have it. One thing that was repeated was, he has had therapies but has not responded. He was brought down. He was clearly frightened and did not know what was going on. He constantly looked around for familiar faces. He was not used to leaving the walls of his groupa. He is not mobile, so he does not get outside time like children that can walk. I noticed he is so observant! He looked at everyone, wanting to know who they were. Another thing I noticed, the director had stepped back. He had NO interaction with him at all! He was not at all happy that a family wanted Silas. Those few brief moments with him were so precious to me and I was very grateful that the director allowed us to meet him.
We had our second DAP the following week and accepted our referral for Silas. We also decided that we would petition the court to adopt both boys. We could have, at this point, chose only one. And I think our facilitator was surprised that we still wanted Silas after having visits with him, but we did. As devastated as I was at our DAP appointment, it was truly a blessing. We would have never met André if Silas were not available. The orphanage was like a fortress and mingling with other children is not allowed. Silas did not have these issues in the orphanage. Something was done to prevent, no matter what it was, we should have been told.
Now, fast forward to Gotcha Day. The director gave us 3 bags of medicine for
André. NOTHING for Silas. As a doctor, he should know that stopping medication suddenly (especially the type that he was likely on) could cause serious withdrawals and even death. Let me just remind you that whatever he was on was so strong that this child has a tolerance to anesthesia! That is sickening! He could have at least let us know what he was on. Then we could be prepared. Also, after we came down with the boys, he grabbed André and posed for a picture with him. He did not offer to take a picture with Silas. We left the orphanage and only saw the director again until when we signed over the boys' bank accounts to the orphanage. The following day was when we tried to have our facilitator call him to find out what meds Silas was on and we did not receive a return call.
After thinking about all of this, I realized that what Nancy told me is true. Because Silas can not walk or talk, they thought he was unworthy of a family. Or they wanted a healthier child to be adopted instead. I can not tell you how ANGRY this makes me! I look at this sweet face and think that I almost did not have the chance to have him as my son because of their stupid beliefs. He turned 5 on November 29. He would have been transferred shortly after. I know this, he would not have lasted a week! He was so incredibly malnourished, in the orphanage he did not have the use of his voice. In the past week, with the nutrition he has been getting, he now can use his voice. I have videos to prove this! I am so glad I fought for him that day at the DAP appointment. Even through this hard time of him being hospitalized, I could not imagine the rest of my life without Silas, or André, or D.J., or Tage, or Maben. 
The director posing with André

My Sweet Silas

No comments:

Post a Comment